In the wake of the 11th century Gregorian Reforms many canons’ chapters reverted to their old way of life, including the cathedral chapter of St. John Lateran in Rome. This gave birth to the community of the Canons Regular of the Congregation of Our Saviour.
This tradition was discontinued under the Papacy of Boniface VIII (1294-1303). Finally Pope Eugene IV (1431-1447) summoned the Augustinian Canons Regular of the Congregation of Fregionaia to the Eternal City in 1446 and handed over the Lateran Basilica to them.
They subsequently changed their name to the Canons Regular of the Lateran. Over the centuries numerous Canons Regular monasteries joined this congregation. In 1907 the six monasteries of the Canons Regular of the Lateran located in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, St. Florian, Herzogenburg, Klosterneuburg, Neustift, Reichersberg and Vorau, joined together to form the Austrian Congregation of Augustinian Canons Regular. While the independence of the individual monasteries is preserved, the congregation is headed by an Abbot General elected by the provosts of the six houses.