Located at a key crossroads, the Abbey always enjoyed lively cultural exchange, which was documented in the cloisterâ€™s frescoes, the paintings of the altar wings, and the sculptures. The Abbeyâ€™s own museum (art gallery) comprises a valuable collection of panel paintings and altars from the fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries. The Gothic altar panels, painted by the most important Tyrolean artists of the day, such as Michael and Friedrich Pacher, Leonhard von Brixen, and Marx Reichlich, used to be set up in the Abbey Church. Among other works, the Augustinus Altar by the Meister von Uttenheim and the Katharina Altar by Friedrich Pacher deserve a special mention. The famous Church Fathersâ€™ Altar, created by Michael Pacher for Novacella between 1471 and 1475, however, is at the Alte Pinakothek in MĂĽnchen today. While Tyrol was part of Bavaria, and during the temporary dissolution of the Abbey, numerous art treasures were removed from the it. And yet, to this day, Novacella has an impressive collection of artworks by renowned artists.
The Monastery Museum and the library are accessible to the public as part of a Monastery tour.
Contact for Image and Research Requests
Mag. Dr. Hanns-Paul Ties â€“ Museum curator
Museum of Novacella Abbey
Via Abbazia 1
39040 Varna (BZ)
+39 0472 836 189