A long history

  • 1142


    Founding of the abbey, probably also together with a school 

  • 1160


    The earliest documentation of a school is a list of the names of a schoolmaster and students.

  • 1281

    Rupert Maulrapp

    One of them was to stay: Rupert Maulrapp sent his sons from Kastelruth to the abbey. The cleverer of the two was to stay there.

  • 1467

    Graf Leonhard von Görz

    The reputation of the school in Neustift was such that even Count Leonhard von Görz sent his nephew there.

  • 1581

    In this year the school had 25 students

  • 1807


    Dissolution of the monastery, and with it the school, by the Bavarians.

  • 1816

    Re-establishment of the monastery

    Re-establishment of the monastery, which then took over the state grammar school in Brixen. This was also where the canonized Josef Freinademetz went to school.

  • 1830–1914

    The monastery school was attended every year by around 20 students

  • 1908

    Opening of the new institute building (choristers’ institute)

  • 1926

    Closing of the Augustinian grammar school in Brixen by the Faschist regime

  • 1919-1945

    Interwar years

    Because Neustift was a church school, the secondary school for students up to the age of 14 was allowed to continue. And even teach in German.

  • 1943


    Closing of the monastery’s own school after the invasion of the German army.

  • 1945–1971


    Establishment of a commercially oriented secondary school (‘Bürgerschule’)

  • 1946–1971


    A juvenate, a private humanistic grammar school, was also opened.

  • 1971

    Students from 11-14

    Closing of the private schools in Neustift. They were replaced by a school boarding house for students from 11-14, together with a branch of a Brixen school for this age group. Older students were also accepted at the boarding house.

  • 1971–1977

    Michael Pacher

    From this date on the school was a branch of the ‘Michael Pacher’ secondary school.

  • 1977–1996

    Arthur March

    After six years the ‘Michael Pacher’ became the ‘Arthur March’ secondary school and was known by this name until 1996.

  • 1996

    Oswald von Wolkenstein

    The Neustift school then became a branch of the ‘Oswald von Wolkenstein’ secondary school. This minnesinger was incidentally a beneficiary at the abbey.

  • 2007


    Completion of the rebuilding and renovation work in the boarding house at the end of May.

  • 2015


    Blessing of the new open and interactive study rooms, providing the boarders with further options.

  • 2018/19

    New provisions

    Introduction of two new provisions for the younger students: ‘Exercise and Sport’ and ‘Digital Media’.

  • 2020/21


    Redesigning of the common rooms with a lively colour concept.

  • 2022

    Armin Eisendle

    Appointment of Armin Eisendle as the new director of Neustift’s school boarding house.

Your Browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser. To have the best experience use one of the following browsers: